May 27, 2020 - The Link Between Ovarian Cancer and Talcum Powder - If you have recently received a diagnosis of ovarian cancer, you have likely been shaken to the core and have a thousand questions running through your brain. Perhaps you used Johnson & Johnson baby powder with talc for feminine hygiene purposes and are wondering whether your ovarian cancer could be tied to talcum powder. Baby powder ovarian cancer has been in the news for several years now, and a growing body of evidence suggests that talc used in the genital area can increase a woman’s chance of developing ovarian cancer.
In fact, the more years a woman uses talc, the more likely she may be to develop ovarian cancer. On average, about one out of every 75 women will develop ovarian cancer during her lifetime. This is about a one percent chance, and certainly lower than the 12 percent lifetime risk a woman has of developing breast cancer. Unfortunately, there is not yet a screening test for ovarian cancer, therefore, the disease is rarely diagnosed until it has significantly progressed.
Seeking Ovarian Cancer Treatment After Your Diagnosis - If you have been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, seeking the best treatment possible, makes perfect sense. While there are many cancer treatment centers across the United States, some of those receive consistently higher ratings for their cancer treatment than others. According to U.S. News, the following Cancer Treatment Centers rank as the top ten hospitals in 2019-2020 to receive treatment for ovarian cancer—or any other type of cancer.
- The number one cancer treatment center in the United States is the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX. MD Anderson Cancer Center specializes in cancer research, treatment, and prevention, and, in addition to its main campus at the Texas Medical Center, MD Anderson has a gynecologic oncology clinic at the Woman’s Hospital of Texas.
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center of New York, ranks as the second-best cancer treatment center in the United States. Memorial Sloan Kettering offers cutting-edge cancer treatments along with genetic counseling, pain management care, and complementary therapies like yoga and acupuncture.
- Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, ranks as the third best hospital in the U.S. for treating cancer. In addition to traditional ovarian cancer treatments, the Mayo Clinic offers a Healthy Living Program, described as an “immersive wellness” experience.
- Coming in at number four is the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. Johns Hopkins can lay claim to a number of medical “firsts” in the treatment of cancer.
- Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center in Boston ranks fifth among the top ten cancer treatment centers. This cancer treatment center excels in caring for the sickest, most medically complex patients and is considered the gold standard for women with ovarian cancer.
- The number six spot goes to Cleveland Clinic, in Cleveland, Ohio; the cancer care building opened in March 2017 and features a cancer resource center for patients and families.
- UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside in Pittsburgh is ranked number seven among the top ten cancer treatment centers in the United States.
- Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute in Tampa, Florida, tied for eighth place for centers with outstanding cancer treatment.
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago rounds out the top ten best hospitals in the United States for cancer treatment.
Do You Need a Baby Powder Ovarian Cancer Lawyer? If you have been diagnosed with ovarian cancer after using J & J talcum powder for feminine hygiene, it could be very beneficial to speak to an experienced baby powder ovarian cancer attorney regarding a baby powder ovarian cancer lawsuit. Whether you believe you developed ovarian cancer from your use of talcum powder or from another source, finding the right cancer treatment center can be critical to the quality of care you receive.